Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Well...here we are at the end of  Day 5 in Oaxaca.  I was just talking on Skype with My daughter and Granddaughter.   Honestly, I am so amazed at the ability to communicate across the world these days.  And I am doing it!!!

My main goal upon awaking to the sounds of geckos ( a really loud sound for such a little creature) was to walk a few feet for my breakfast and the take my laundry around the corner to have it washed and dried and folded and completed by 6 pm tonight.

I spent some time answering e mails and then took a siesta.  So far...not too stressful.
The young man who cooks here and goes to university told me about a market nearby that happens on this day.  So I walked about 3 blocks to the Merced Market...where vendors were selling fresh produce, flowers, food, etc.  This market is popular with the locals but is much smaller than the huge ones I have visited in the outlying villages and the Abastos market which is a longer walk from here and HUGE...beyond your imagination unless you have been to such a place in your travels.
I enjoyed that walk and bought 2 avocadoes and a sweet potatoe.  I have some access to the kitchen here.  There are really generous and kind.  I have to tell you that I have more trouble with using the money here than learning the language.  The dollars are easy but I get mixed up on the change.  So at the market, I just hand them my change and they take what the right amount is.  All are so kind and helpful.  I am always afraid that I am not giving them enough.

Later in the day, I walked my 10 blocks or so toward the area with shops and restaurants and cafes and bakeries.  No shortage of wonderful food.  Also, no shortage of cafes which I don't remember in previous trips.  I went to my favorite cafe called Brujula....and had a drink I discovered yesterday which has cucumber, lime juice and some sugar(not much).  OHHH  I love this drink called Pepe Limonada Frappe. 
Lots of crushed ice and specks of green cucumber throughout.  According to the menu, this drink was mentioned in Food and Wine Magazine.

And, in addition, I had a spectacular salad...huge and brought over half of it "home"!
Top layer of thinly sliced cucumbers, sliced RED tomatoes, sliced apple, grated cheddar, sliced avocado and tons of mixed greens under it all.  WOW....I have had the best frest veggies and greens since I have been here!!

Before going to the BRUJULA, I picked up a small loaf of bread, a muffin, and a slice of kiesh.  Lord, I can't remember how to spell that!  I was loaded with food as Ii walked the 14 or so blocks "home."  I did not get rained on as I did yesterday...twice.  I don't really mind until it starts in sheets.  At night, many loud boom, boom, booms can be heard...and I haven't heard yet if that is thunder or electricity problems.  It happens often in the evening on rainy, cloudy days.   The rain has kept it comfortably cool(cold to locals who don coats, long sleeves, and sweaters).  I like this temperature!!

After retiring to my little room with the double french doors that let in air and view of garden plus the chatter of the students, I started to hear a band playing, drums and trumpets.....I ran barefoot outside to see a parade of dancers and musicians.  Those here said there was no reason.....no fiesta or occasion...and I think that is great!!!  I'd like to sing and dance with trumpets and drums  when I felt lke it!!!!   Just for fun...Just for no reason....That's JOY.....and just one of those little Oaxaca surprise gifts there for the taking!!!  

You really should come here on your next vacation!






The young man who cleans my room wanted to clean so, of course, I let him!  I went to the living area and read a book. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of diggin' this blog thing. Really cool. I've read all your posts and I am really impressed with your adventureous (sp) spirit. Good job! I look forward to visiting your blog daily to keep up with your travels. Stay safe. P.S. I suggest you contact Carol Rock and invite her to blog site. She loves things like this, speaks Spanish well, and goes to the Mexican Coast (Pacific) fairly often.

    ReplyDelete