Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday September 15, 2012
Independencia Day for Mexico!

As it turns out Cinco de Mayo is more popular in the US than Mexico.  Today is their
true Independence Day.  It is 9 pm. here and mass fireworks will happen at 11 pm and much celebrating in the Zocolo.  I just returned from the zocolo, my first time being out past about 7 pm.  I went with another new friend, a woman who is staying here and is from San Francisco, owns a home here, but is renting it out now.  She is here for an art opening that she helped make happen for a photographer friend who died about 10 years ago.  We walked down to the zocolo and found a sidewalk cafe, bought tea for her and watermelon juice for me. Iit actually was watermelon juice and it was huge!  Welistened to the band that was up on a stage, and we people watched.  The park was lit with many strings of colored lights and there were people of all ages walking, talking, eating, and milling about.  We stopped in a few shops on the way back. 

Earlier today I made a planned trip to the same area in order to find a health food store and cafe that I was sure I knew where it was.  I had the cross streets, etc.  Pero,,,,no such luck....it turns out there is another Hidalgo and Cinco de Mayo streets in a completely different direction.  So I took my little? feet around the plaza, had a cup of coffee which came with a packet of brown sugar.  That was really good.  We should try that at home!  I was proud of myself because I thought I was trying Oaxaca coffee.  As I got up to pay the bill, I turned around and discovered that I was at the Italian coffee shop, one of many here, that I have been purposely avoiding.  They are everywhere and puts me in mind of Starbuck's.  There are no Starbuck's here and please SB, stay away!!!

I walked up the hill to my favorite coffee shop, Brujulo's, and ordered my pepe limonada frapee!   also had the salad that I think I described before...ate half of it
and ate the rest back at mi casa later...served as lunch and dinner.  Then I walked up the hill a bit more to the bakery and bought 2 yummy muffins and a little loaf of cinnamon
bread.  I have been eating whole loaves of bread even if small.  This place has become a favorite, also, and it is across the street from Brujulo's.   Well, now I had to walk across and down a few blocks and 7 blocks a la izquierda and home again!  With all the bread I have been eating, good thing I am walking, walking, walking!!

I am going to insert here that I have been proofing my entries but can't get the proofed copy to stick...just the un proofed one....my lack of skills at the ins and outs of blogging.

Yesterday, I took a Collectivo(minibus)  26 miles to Ocotlan which has its big market on Friday.  I went with my friend from the airplane(he went home today).  He knew how to get the bus and which terminal- really confusing and, I swear, must include just a little sprinkle of luck.  I love these village market days.  Not many tourists,  and mostly many, many indigenous folks from surrounding villages and farms.  I am sooooo tall compared to most.   The market is huge and has everything to meet all these folks needs from food, to shoes, bridles, ox yoke, candy, clothing, little eating stalls....and just think!  all of this food is completely fresh.  I saw people leading 4 goats through the narrow, crowded lanes of the market, a man carrying his chickens on a rolling cart and last time I was here, I saw a woman carrying one sheep around her neck and one in her arms...easily.  Much is transported on women's heads but they will not let you take a picture and so I didn't try.   I sat for about 15 min. on the veranda of some local building and an old indigenous woman asked if she could sit next to me...con su permiso...and we tried to talk...she was so dear...but I am not so great at spanish...but we managed.  When I left, I was able to say,"Tengo ir" ( I have to go)  and she nodded her head.  I took her hand and said, "Mi amiga" and she kissed my cheek. 

Later from a second story vantage point, looking out over the market and down on the street, I added to my many animal visuals.  I never can get my camera out fast enough.
Down below me, was a double decker flatbed truck with sheep on the top and pigs on the bottom.  The an open truck went by below us and it had the biggest bull I have ever seen...made me wonder how they got that bull up on that truck!  Obviously, it was a successful day at the market.

We caught the first bus we saw when we wanted to leave and it turned out to be an almost completely full second class bus....quite a different return trip.  It was hot and dusty and bumpy.  People had traveled from Oaxaca city,  26 miles, to buy  food.  But the small man next to me got off at one of our stops....I think he bought a new hat.  He
kept taking it off and looking at it, and putting it back on.  I think he was happy with it!!
But those who bought fresh food items, I couldn't figure out why the 26 mile trip...there are so many markets in the city. 

Oh by the way, this bus was following a truck with 3 huge bulls in it  all the way back to the city....How DID they get 3 bulls to stand nicely next to each other.  They seemed content with their hot, dusty, bumpy ride and they were standing all the way!



3 comments:

  1. You sure are full of adventure! How much does it cost to go 26 miles on the bus? I like the way you inject a bit of Spanish here, and a bit of espanol there to get us familiar with the local lingo.
    I would have responded sooner, but I was at Starbucks (oops!) getting my morning fix...;0) Keep the conversation going..enjoyable reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyibg a vicarious trip thru your posts! THANKS FOR SHARING!!


    "HECKPERSON"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! This is 3rd time I have writtem this and can't get it to publish. Is nothing on this easy??Mike R...$2 for collectivo and $150 for 2nd class bus!!

      Delete