Thursday, September 20, 2012

Veggies gone. Brain resting.

Hola!  and thanks for the encouragement to keep on blogging!

Yesterday I sort of crashed and slept the entire day....Spanish and English was swirling in my head; I was tired of walking, walking, walking...so I took my body's hint and
headed back to my room; cloosed two layers of blinds; turnd the fan on to block out any outside noise and literally flopped on the bed!  Unfortunately, my stomach called and I got up once and walked, walked, walked to La Olla, one of my favorite eating spots.  I ordered this amazing salad that came with mixed greens and beautifully cut up and arranged baked beets, carrots, celery, avocado and squash.  A salad with beautiful and abundant vegetables.  Keep your eye on the vegetables!  I first had some beautiful and delicious mashed avocadoes(for lack of the actual word) and freshly made corn chips.  Then I had a brilliant idea.  "I think I will eat only the lettuce( because it doesn't save well) and take home the veggies for later." 

When it was time for the bill, I wanted to communicate "take out" - and it quickly became clear that I spoke fine English and she spoke excellent Spanish.  With much
pointing and nodding of heads, we thought we had agreement.     After sitting for a few minutes, I got up and tried to say, "Where are my beautiful, if leftover, vegetables?"
I heard my waitress say to another waiter, in Spanish(now I am hearing spanish and understanding), "She didn't tell me."   I knew all was lost...at least the vegetables were lost.  I told YOU to keep an eye on the vegetables.  I was tired and disappointed and really just wanted to sit down on the sidewalk and cry....well...I didn't do it.  I just walked and walked and walked back home and re-flopped on the bed!!!

So today....I decide for the second time that I will go to the Santo Domingo Church and incredible cultural museum.  The Church is mostly made of gold and is stunning if not annoying when you think of all the poor people here and everywhere.  I have been looking forward to some quiet time in this museum which is housed in what used to be a convent and an army barracks.   This is a stunning building architecturally and the views from the arched windows make for great photography.  This is my second try because when I went last time, I forgot that I had to have cash,  not just a credit card.
I first went to my bakery and bought some lunch to take home and then off..walking, walking, walking to the museum.  I get there; give her my lunch and a package to keep at the front and reach into my purse for my $5.00.  No cash....just spent it at the bakery..and mind you I did not sit down in the museum entrance and have a tantrum.

Sometimes when you must completely rely on your own brain, it just gets tired and prefers to rest....and so i am "home" now....ate my salad at the kitchen table with a woman who is staying here; talked to some of the guys who cook for us ( breakfast for me) and they had completely peeled and separated a grapefruit for me.  They DID IT FOR ME.    I ate it and I did not sit on the floor and cry.

Es Todo para hoy.

2 comments:

  1. I could relate to losing a plateful of lemon-filled bismarcks but "an array of veggies - - nah! [but then that's why you're as healthy as you are - - and I'm fighting a tendency to grow into a pear-shaped version of my old slender self. ENJOY THE DAY!!! "heckperson"

















































































    ReplyDelete
  2. ): ah... well I hope the rest of your days have been going well. I awarded you the fantistic blog award!!! now u post about the award I passed to you! Go to my blog and it explains what your suppose to do! If u still dont get it u can skype or email me(:

    ReplyDelete