Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hola! Hasta Luego! Adios! Hola!

I guess we have to say "good-by" in order to say "hello" once again.....I have only three days left in Oaxaca.  I can hardly believe it...and I will be sad(triste) to leave and happy to see my family and friends again....while already planning how I can say "Hello" to Oaxaca in the future....

So much has happened that I feel overwhelmed with where to start.  Much of my time last week was spent visiting families of children I have sponsored through an organization called:  Oaxaca Street Children.  I also visited the home of a past administrator of this organization.  These experiences were multi-layered and rewarding.  I rode buses; taxis; walked and walked; rode in a car; and walked down a dirt road(not all in the same trip)!   Each visit was completely different.  One was in the city; one in the country; and one in a suburb.   When someone spoke English besides me, the visit was easier on me!  Of course, Alejandro(administrator) spoke English as did one of his daughters.  The rest of the family understood English but did not speak as well.  They all encourage me to speak Spanish.

 In another visit to the countryside(to the families I know best from past visits) one of the high school age sons did a remarkable job of translating.  The schools do not do a good job of teaching English so if you want to learn, you are on your own.  In one of these households, the daughter had a computer and we could type in sentences and the computer translated...I actually think this was GOOGLE.  But really ....single words, waving of hands, pointing, nodding of heads, tears.....were the forms of communication.  Kind of stressful because we want to say so much more....then again..some times words get in the way.

In the city household, OSC provide a translator(volunteer from Alaska) and that was a godsend.  She is a delightful young woman and we ate and sang while the uncle and Erik played the guitar.   There are ten in this household but it didn't seem crowded except for the turkey that I thought was fake when we walked in.   Mr. Turkey was tethered and later I saw it move and was so surprised that I said,  "That is a real turkey!" which was news only to me!  They all thought that was funny.  And even tho I pleaded for its life, it was going to be fresh food for a big celebration coming up soon.  As we left with many gifts and among many tears, the uncle showed us his barber shop in a small room next door.  The enthusiastic and lively uncle and Erik(14) drove us each right to our doorsteps!   (no walking, walking, walking)

Most of the children in these households ride from 45 minutes to and hour and a half by city bus to get to school.....!!

I think it is impossible to understand how much we ALL have until we have the opportunity to visit a place where having things  - even opportunities are just not an expectation that they have.  There are no guarantees in their lives....no insurance, not necessarily school, no retirement income, no toaster, microwave, never mind a blender and all of those other appliances accumulating under the kitchen counter....maybe no kitchen counter...no separate bedrooms ...no wardrobe of clothes only what is necessary.  I just didn't understand until my first visit here and had the opportunity to visit families who graciously invited me and shared their hearts, their food, their busfare and taxifare.  They will not let me pay for anything when I am with them. 
Ok...enough....but the LOVE and JOY, LAUGHTER, GRATITUDE and SHARING are also rewarding and overwhelming!  These visits feed my soul! Soul Food.....



No comments:

Post a Comment